Monday, September 22, 2008

Session 141 - Sep 20 - WC

Saturday Sep 20, 9:30-12, 6'8 Taylor

on Friday Joel agreed to trek over the hill to join me for a Saturday morning surf. I said lets get on it early, leave no later than 8, Joel said 'that's early but ok', so I got a call at 9 saying he was on his way.  To shave a little time I drove over to the Arrow parking lot and met up w/ him there, and carpooled the rest of the way. One minor diversion later (I forgot my leash in the trunk of my car and we had to go turn around to get it, but I remembered it real quick so we hadn't gone far) we were in the water. It was windier than I had anticipated for, slight chop, but actually cleaned up in the middle of our session and for most of it we had pretty fun, clean, nice conditions. Mostly chest to head high on the sets, some fun open faces, lefts, rights, and a manageable crowd. 

After surf headed home and had some fish tacos and watched some of the Volcom grom's surf contest at 1st/2nd peak. Sad moment was one grommet, couldn't have been older than 10, who after finishing his heat was walking back along the street, mini grommet surfboard tucked under his arm, 2 sizes too big contest jersey hanging haphazardly over his shoulders, tears flowing down his cheeks. Poor guy must've had a bad heat and was feeling down. Brought me back to the days when I used to cry after little league. Haha, competitive youth sports...cheer up little guy, lots of life left to be lived, and there will be waves again tomorrow. :)  

(story continuation: After said grommet walked past, I did keep an eye on him to see what was going to unfold as he got back to the crowd/parents. I've seen more instances than I care to see of parents -- primarily dads -- who push their kid so hard to succeed that they take all the fun right out of it. One prime example is this guy I've seen on the rocks off 38th, where we like to sit, who stands there, beer belly hanging out, yelling at the top of his lungs at his two young kids who are out there at inside 38th, trying, probably with limited success, to just have some fun and enjoy a nice sunny afternoon surf. Not a pretty sight, let the kids enjoy being kids for a bit, ya know, make some mistakes, laugh, maybe even smile a little bit? Too much to ask? I was fearful we were going to witness another case of over-competitive surf dad syndrome with this here young grommet...but thankfully, as he made his way back to the crowd, I watched an older guy walk up to him, bend down, and give him a nice big hug. Content that all is well with the world, I smiled a bit, turned around, and continued my walk home.)

No comments: