Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Session 104 - July 15 - Hook

Tuesday July 15, 7-8:30, 6'2 KG

My all-afternoon meeting (see below) ended a bit early yesterday, affording me a good opportunity to get over to SC and enjoy a little lazytown beach shack time. So that's what I did. Got home, after-school-snack bowl of Honeycomb, hopped on the bike and pedaled over to the Hook. And, whatta ya know, some solid fun looking sets rolling through! Where'd that come from! Not much of a crowd and some real fun chest high waves. Things had picked up since the morning, and actually was pretty consistent and not much waiting, so got my fair share of waves...high tide so a bit backwashy but still working, just with a slight little bump to make things interesting near the end of every ride. Fish worked well, caught a lot of waves, generated some good speed to keep up, fun session. Even getting out was no hassle, not always the easiest on a high tide with a little swell as waves come crashing right up to the rocks and can send you tumbling if you mis-time things...no sweat. Got home and ate more Honeycomb, this time with a beer (not so after-school-snack any more am I!).

Woke up at 5:30 this morning hoping for a repeat, but in my exuberance had forgotten to see what tides were up to, negative low around 4:40 or so, so while still waves and still definitely worthwhile it wasn't more than waist high so I opted to laze around instead. Was awake from biking so just hung out, nice to be up that early, real quiet, and took my sweet time getting ready for work. Good pace, could get used to that, too bad I need to sleep. (and work.)

Speaking of work, back to the all-afternoon meeting mentioned above: I'm helping to plan the '08 company picnic this year. No small undertaking, I'll say, we're talking some ridiculous attendance numbers here. Part of the festivities will be a Googler talent show, and yesterday afternoon I had the privilege of being on the judging panel...I'll leave this short as I need to get some (actual) work done now but there are some impressive hidden talents running around the Googleplex. Fun afternoon and glad to be involved in helping put things together...and maybe just a little bit wishful I had kept at those piano lessons my mom made me take for just a bit longer than 2 weeks...but hey I was a kid and there was basketball to be played, outside! Piano?? Bah!

No comments: