Monday, April 21, 2008

Session 65 - April 20 - 38th/2nd Peak

Sunday April 20, 5:30 - 8 PM, 6'2 KG Fish

One of the downfalls of having a lot of boards is it's always a significant mental challenge to choose which one to use. 9'0 Becker I was just raving about yesterday? Throw it back retro a bit and bust out the 6'2 twinzer fish? Go even more retro and dust off the 7'6 uber Kingfish? Settle somewhere in between w/ the 7'0 thickshake Brewer? Or man do I get with the times and go ultra modern cutting edge w/ the 6'6 quad? Not to mention the myriad of 6'8's at my disposal, or of course the singlefin glide of the 9'6 FSC. Decisions Decisions!! Now of course obviously the surf I plan on surfing will be a significant contributor to my stick selection, but I can make a lot of those boards work in a varying range of conditions...so it is always a very difficult decision...albeit a fun one.

After much debate last night I finally opted to go with the 6'2 KG. Looking back, I'm happy with my decision, although there were moments I felt a bit under-gunned out there amongst the 10'0 logs at 38th, I was able to get plenty of waves. The fish is a lot of fun, and it's definitely a challenge that I welcome to continue and progress my surfing on that type of board, it does ride a lot different than your standard shortboard. So while I've got a long ways to go before I'm styling on it like the lifelong fish devotees who rave about those boards on and on all over the internet (there really is a disproportionate number of surf blog/art type sites centered around the fish style surfboard), I'm making progress. Surf last night was good for the fish, 38th is often a really slow wave but it was walling up pretty nice last night, got some fun lefts at 38th, but the real fun started when I paddled over to 2nd peak, Sunday nights again proved good time to catch some surf, crowd really light, wind dropping, by the end of the session was just me and a few others out at 2nd peak catching wave after wave, I woulda stayed out for more but the burn in my shoulders was just getting too much to ignore so I called it good, wasting probably about another 20 minutes of solid surf sunlight...but I think I'd had my fill of waves by that point. Don't want to get too greedy.

As is the case with anything, I can surf that board way better frontside on a left, with it being so short, flat, and fast I think I struggle even more going backside, but I can definitely note improvement over time. Good.

Boss is back from Maui vacation = Nic is back to work. This post is OVER!

No comments: