Saturday, April 19, 2008

Session 64 - April 19 - 38th, 2nd peak

Saturday April 19, 2:30 - 5 PM, 9'0 Becker

New board rips! That type of performance longboard is just exactly what good 2nd peak and 38th ave waves are made for...so I'm lovin' it out there. Really fun, fast, responsive board, feel like I can go for pretty much anything on it. Even if I'm way late on a takeoff or looking at a really steep angled drop the performance aspect of the board makes it work, and if I was better, I still think you'd be able to get a nose ride out of the thing even as well...anyways it's a good board. Glad I picked it up. The old 9'6 singlefin still definitely has its place, that board is pretty sweet also, but for a session like today where we actually have a decent amount of swell and some stiff offshore winds, the 9'0 Becker is just the right board for the job.

I was lazy this morning and went to the flea market with Selin -- she knows purses better than I know surfboards and utilized that knowledge to score a pretty epic sweet deal on an old designer purse that's actually worth a solid chunk of change -- and hung out at home for a bit. Watched NBA playoffs, or at least the NBA playoffs I can actually watch with my basic (ie lame) cable package. So I watched Spurs/Suns on ABC and that's it, couldn't watch anything else because I don't get ESPN or TNT. At least I don't now...but it won't be that way for long! The prospect of this NBA playoff season was just too much to resist, so I bit the bullet and sprung for the expanded basic cable which includes all the channels from 2-82. So now I get TNT and ESPN and can watch all the games. Score. I'll have to eat free dinner at work a few times though to make up for the extra $23/month it's costing me...I know tough sacrifice to force myself to eat fresh, top of the line, organic, expertly prepared grub for dinner at work an extra night or two, but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. Cable guy comes out on Monday to hook it up, so I'll be watching all the NBA I can handle from then on out. Oh, other good thing, I can cancel it anytime, so unless I get too addicted to Tila Tequila and other MTV/VH1 reality trash, I'll be doing just that after the playoffs are over.

Long tangent there. Back to the surf: we've got a bit of swell this weekend, mostly local windswell but enough to pick things up and make it interesting out there, head high on the sets. Wind was blowing really hard in the afternoon when I made it out, but it was actually more offshore than anything else, holding the waves up pretty nice. Caught some fun ones, crowd wasn't too bad...big contrast from the morning masses, on my AM surf check around 9:30 am I counted EIGHTY people just at 38th and 2nd peak alone...Surfline effect in full force (fair forecast). Surf did look fun and there were a lot of waves, so could've undoubtedly gotten my share, but glad I waited until afternoon as there was less than half as many people out, a decent chunk of which were sitting out of position to catch anything decent. More waves for me! Started my session at 38th, then went over to 2nd peak, and then moved back to 38th. Caught some nuggets at each. Fun session, ended it when the cold wind got just a bit too cold for my 3/2, time for a hot shower.

No comments: