Friday, April 11, 2008

Session 57 - April 10 - LM

Thursday April 10, 6:30-8 PM, 6'8 KS

Marginal Linda Marginal, not a great session but it was OK. Kind of sloppy surf out there, not as good as I was hoping for...but not horrible either. I was very torn between surf or Warriors vs. Nugs for tonight's activity, neither one turned out the way I'd have hoped, but in the end I'm happy with my choice. Physical activity vs the alternative beer consumption was a good call, even if the session wasn't great.

So I was foiled by my Linda Mar surfcheck method, which is to check this LM surf cam here, and if I see lots of people, I assume it's good and I go too. So I checked the LM surf cam today at work and I definitely did see lots of people, but why there were so many I don't know because surf wasn't anything worth getting excited about. Maybe they all have the same Linda Mar surfcheck method as me. Or maybe it was just a nice sunny evening. I think when it comes to the general LM surfing masses, sunshine is actually more of a contributor to crowds than actual surf quality itself. I bet I'm right on that one.

Anyway I was for the most part happy with how I surfed the sloppy waves, I definitely got the good ones. The other day at the Yo I noticed how this pro was able to take off on a wave that was obviously gonna close out on him but still maintain such a high line that he was able to kick out via an air, so I tried to emulate that approach and actually had moderate success, of course I never pulled off the aerial element of the exit but I still managed to make the most of the closeouts and maintain that high line on a couple of them, so, happy about that. One I almost made it out but didn't quite and then got sucked back down, that wasn't a great feeling cuz it was like slow motion I could feel it happening and then it did...but it was small LM surf, not exactly life-threatening we're talking here.

Weekend is almost here, Joel is visiting so I'll surf w/ him a bit, which is always enjoyable. Good night.

No comments: