Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Pop-outs



When you spend as much time on the internet as I do (entirely too much) you get to read a lot about the debate between locally made, hand shaped, more traditional surfboards vs the influx of mass-produced, foreign made "pop-outs". Lots of outcry against the pop-outs...cheap, mass-produced, where's the soul in that, putting your local shaper out of business...I'm not going to get into it and go on and on but I do like to support the local custom guys. I'm glad not to own any pop-outs. Not that I don't think they don't have their place, but when you have the choice and the knowledge, I'd just rather get something made locally or made by hand, the traditional way. Plus it's not like I'm buying new boards or anything -- local and used suits me juuuuust fine thank you very much.

Anyways point of this post was here's a list I found tonight of all the different (and always expanding) companies making pop-outs. Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

Taken from this blog here, where you can read more about it if you feel so inclined.

1 comment:

Matt and Veronica Luttrell said...

The list is technically incorrect. Surftech and Tuflite are the same. Surftech makes Tuflite.

Should I feel like a donkey because the only two boards I kept for my trip over to Oz were two popouts? I don't know, but I can tell you one thing, both of my pop outs were dinged on the trip over here. Would have hated to see what would have happened to a custom shape. :)