Thursday, April 24, 2008

7am

Nobody is at work at 7 am anymore. I remember back when I had several 7 am phone shifts every week. Those really sucked. But I did them and didn't complain (much).

Nowadays, early morning phones are handled by Ann Arbor office or maybe even Boston office now. Expansion! Kids these days have it easy around here. Seriously. Empty in here. Ghost town. Deserted. So devoid of life and movement the motion-sensored lights keep turning off on me, and I have to stand up from my chair and wave my arms around so they turn back on.

On the topic of kids, it's bring your kid to work day. That is kind of a fun concept idea. If I had kids I'd really enjoy it. I've seen just a few kids around the office today, and it brought a smile to my face. Hopefully somebody tells those kids work is not always like this, we have it pretty lucky here at big G. And yeah there aren't usually bounce-houses in the courtyard either, that's special just for you, kiddos.

It's really light really early now! I was up at 5:45 and it was already light. Light enough to surf. I didn't realize it was getting so light so early already, spring/summer creeps up on you faster than you'd expect. I'll push my morning dawn patrol start times up from 7 am to 6 am. (Or maybe not. But, I CAN if I want to)

This is turning into a random-thought blog post. I guess I really didn't have any structure in mind when I started it, so that is what happens. No point in fighting it, might as well keep on going...

Selin and I went to the Catalyst last night and saw the John Butler Trio. Good band. Fun show. We got there a bit late and so were never able to get a spot with a very good view of the stage...especially a challenge when you're 5'3 in Selin's case. So that's too bad, because seeing the music being created is part of the experience. I really did not (and still do not) know much of anything about John Butler Trio or know any of their music, but I had a chance to get these tickets at a discount from a coworker and the show was in Santa Cruz and I haven't been to a concert in a long time and I like smaller venues such as the Catalyst so I went for it. Australian Jam band, hippie type music (a lot of smoke in there) but good stuff and undoubtedly some talented musicians. John Butler did a solo performance for a while that was pretty awesome. Anyways we enjoyed it and it was good to get out of the house on a work-night.

In other news I got a new surfboard the other night. Craigslist find, funny though that it turned out the seller was the same dude I bought the old Kingfish from years ago! Nice guy, and worked out well to see him again. I even got a little 'repeat customer' discount! Sweeeeeet! Pleasure doing business with you, PC. :)

As for the new board, it's (yes) yet another Kirkshapes -- continuing my sponsorship -- nearly brand new quad fish. 6'2 x 21 x 2 5/8. (this post was interrupted by work. Rejoining now but my thought process has been interrupted). So, this now makes me the owner of not one but two 6'2 fishes.

I took the new fish home and compared it side-by-side to the KG fish. KG fish dims aren't written on the board, but it is fuller throughout the nose and tail. Thickness is about the same, center width about equal, pin (dis)placement about equal...really the biggest difference is just the fullness through the nose and tail. That is more typical of the KG shapes, Peter (who sold me the new one) did mention. Again from my non-expert viewpoint, if I had to say I'd call the new Kirkshapes more of a modernized, performance fish, while the KG is more traditional.

Anyways, we'll see how much any of this really matters at all most likely tonight after work. I brought the new Kirkshapes with me, and as I got a really early start on the day I can also get an early exit, and plan to head north to Montara or somewhere like that to try this new fishy out. Surf has been painfully small the last couple days, not a whole lot has changed, but Montara is pretty open so hopefully it's working. Other folks have reported it's been a lot of fun on a longboard in recent mornings, so hopefully that trend continues and I get some good use out of the fish. Regardless looking forward to it as I haven't surfed since Sunday.

And, just in case you were worrying, I did buy this new board with the intent of selling one of my fishes. I'll just have to decide which one. But then again, maybe I'll just say heck with it, and keep em both. How you like 'dem apples?

No comments: