Sunday, March 16, 2008

Session 41 - Mar 16 - 38th, 2nd, 1st

Sunday Mar 16, 5-6:30, (Carl's) 9'6 FSC

Carl doesn't have a car or way to transport his board at the moment, so he left it at my house. Rather than have it sit around and collect dust, I decided to take it out for a test drive myself today -- hey I figure I put in a couple hours of ding repair work on that puppy I earned it! Plus I just wanted to try it out, see if he got a good board or not. Factor in that it was just the type of board I felt like surfing today -- a little bit more performance oriented than my 9'6 singlefin noseriderish longboard -- and there you have it, I grabbed it off the rack and off we went. Went down the stairs at 38th, wind howling offshore/sideshore, peaks kinda mixed up with some lulls in between but I scored some pretty tasty waves on that board--it passed inspection (and then some!). It's a nice board, Carl better be careful and not keep it around here for too long, or it might just disappear (ie be hidden under my bed) some time soon...

Sunday nights can often be a great time to catch some waves, folks get surfed out after all day Sat and Sun and are off doing other things late on Sunday night so crowds tend to be manageable. Mix in the strong wind and somewhat jumbled swell and it was a real light crew out there tonight, no worries at all. If you were patient there were some pretty good waves coming through, not all time epic or anything but just big, fun, mushburger type things but if you work it they'd give you a nice long ride. I caught 4 long ones that I rode for all they were worth, from in between 1st/2nd peak to nearly all the way by the 38th staircase (not quite but close), fun long waves, good slow arching longboard turns and cutbacks...felt pretty good. Really liked the board, good selection. It's kind of got a bit of the Brewer in it -- the deck is pretty white and pristine, while the bottom has seen it's share of battle wounds, plus looks like got left in the sun for a while as it's a bit yellowed on that side. That boards got a lot of life in it still though, I hope Carl gets a lot of use out of it.

Weekend is over already? Oye. At least the start of the workweek means I'll get to go to Linda Mar probably on Tuesday morning -- gonna take the 6'6 quad with me over the hill and get that thing out for an inaugural LM session I think, see how it goes. Funny I'd be excited to go to crappy LM instead of SC perfection, but I like to mix it up...keep it fresh ya know? G'nite.

No comments: