Thursday, March 13, 2008

Session 38 - Mar 12 - 2nd Peak/38th


Wednesday Mar 12, 5:30-7:30, 9'6 FSC

Joined for this session by coworker Carl Damerow who hails from the surf mecca of Sheboygan WI...he's been getting out on his own a bit, caught the surf stoke, I helped him pick out a used longboard last week, fixed it up this week (first delam repair -- was a minor one but still those aren't easy -- I'd say I did a pretty decent job if I say so myself), and we went out for an inaugural session last night after work. Left the office at 4:30, home by 5:20, in the water at 38th about 5:30. As I like to do when I got company and relaxed surf, I took out my waterproof digicam and entertained myself between waves trying to get photos -- the one you see here was the best of the lot of a guy ripping one of the set waves out at 2nd peak. Beautiful sunset too! I liked that photo. I didn't get any great ones of Carl -- he didn't provide me with a ton of opportunities to be fair -- but it was a pretty good first Santa Cruz session for him on a new board. He'd only been on foamies to this point. We sat a bit off the best peak and picked off some of the waves that came thru there, he managed to catch some, he'll be a fast learner as he's a really good swimmer, so paddling is pretty strong, and he seems more comfortable out there than most folks I see at his stage. He caught one wave that I saw, actually made a pretty nice adjustment to avoid pearling which I was impressed by. Natural talent, you can't teach that!

As for surf, it was pretty good -- I hung out and caught a lot of waves inside where I normally woulda gone, but still plenty fun and caught some good ones on the 9'6. The tide dropped through our session and the wind died down too, by the end was getting even more solid, so thought we could move back to 38th and get Carl some more easy ones w/ no crowd, so we paddled back and then the wave machine shut down and we got skunked at 38th, had to paddle back in...and then once on the sand of course a set came...never fails! :) Fun session, nice night, good livin'.

2 comments:

Blaze The Trail Cat said...

That's a really good water shot. Very nice; got action, cool angle, and a beautiful sunset. Not too bad for a beginner!

How'd you fix the delam? Did you just inject it or did you cut it off?

Lemme know.

Nic said...

Thanks bro, I thought that was a good picture too. I almost got one other one that might've been sweet, guy actually tucked into a bit of a barrel and I was right in front of it, but I was too slow on the trigger and all I got was the back of the wave as he had already passed by. On his paddle back out though he said "I forgot to smile!" cuz he saw me lining up the shot, and then we talked real quick about my camera which is pretty super sweet.

As for the ding repair, I actually sliced it open at the top, about a 3 inch cut maybe, laid it on rail and poured a bunch of resin in there, then I pressed out as much air as I could and then taped it down real tight and put a bag of dirt weighted down with a brick on top and taped that down real tight and let it dry, and that came out pretty good...then final step I just did a normal repair with a patch of fiberglass over the whole thing. It worked pretty well. No injecting and no cutting of the entire thing.