Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Session 32 - Mar5 - 2nd Peak

Wednesday Mar 5, 7 am - 8:30, 7'6 Kingfish + DUBLIN VISITOR ULI on the 9'6 FSC

Going international! Uli the Ireland surfer (by way of Germany) made it out to SC last night in preparation of this mornings early AM surf attack. Always great to have visitors to the beach, couch is big and comfy and not a bad place to spend a night. Plus I got to put Uli right to work, he helped me sand down some of my repairs on the 6'9 Leaf, earning his keep. My repairs from Sunday actually came out pretty good for the most part, was pleasantly satisfied about that, was worried I'd have a repeat of my last ding repair session when I got started on it too late and it got dark and cold and damp and I didn't use enough hardener and my dang repairs never dried...that sucked. But that didn't happen this time so I was happy, and my boards are almost all good to go now.

As for surf, with sun coming up even earlier and earlier these days, set the alarm for 6:30. It's always a bit of a challenge to get out of the warm comfy bed at that early hour, but the sun shining in through the window always helps. We got up and walked down for morning surf check, I knew there wasn't gonna be much cuz we're on a really high high tide swing right now (think it was 5.8 at 8:17) and there isn't a whole lot of swell, but there were some tiny little waves and only a few people out so we went for it. Worked out well for Uli, good to get out there with no crowds even if waves aren't anything special. Since I had a visitor I decided to play photog for this session...I caught a couple waves myself but most of the time was trying to take photos. Sad to say my photog skills need more work, didn't wind up with any great ones, but I think it's always a kick for anybody to have some surfing pics of themselves even if nothing looks that great. (I've been trying to post pics to this blog for a few hours now but it's not working for some reason, boo, reminds me of being in India!). So it was fun doing that, and as I said before, it was an absolutely beautiful sunny warm day, shame to go to work but got to pay the bills.

Uli was a good visitor, made the most of our conditions and caught some decent waves, plus he was going for everything so wiped out all over the place too but that's what you got to do to get better...come back any time. Friday is his last day in Mt View office, then he's doing some US sightseeing (Grand Canyon, Vegas, LA) before heading back to Dublin. Glad he got some California beach livin' experience before heading back to grey and rainy Dublin.

I'm hitting LM or Montara tomorrow morning, hoping for a good session. We'll see!

No comments: