Sunday, February 17, 2008

Session 20 - Feb 16 - Surf City, USA

Saturday Feb 16, 2:00 - 4:30, Pick your spot they were all going off, 9'6 FSC

The lawyers can decide whatever they want, but until I see swell lines like this at Huntington Beach, I know what I'm calling Surf City, USA.

Uli and Emannuel, two coworkers from the Dublin office, made their first trip out to Santa Cruz today and boy did they pick a good one...beautiful day, beautiful swell. Uli surfs over in Ireland -- there's a bit of a crew there in the Dublin office that makes weekend trips fairly regularly up to the north coast of Ireland, where there's a growing surf scene. He's got his own board and wetsuit over there. And like any Irish surfer would be, used to surfing beach break in grey cloudy overcast weather, he was pretty pumped to come to California and get out in the water. We were talking the other day and he mentioned surfing and that they were planning to come to Santa Cruz this weekend, so I gave him my # and said to call me. They did and we met up, rented some gear for the Euros, and headed out. We decided to go around the bend a bit and surf down in Capitola, smaller waves, less crowds -- good call, as evidenced by the pictures. Really a truly amazing day in every single way. Uli caught some waves, Emmanuel got tossed around on his foamie and didn't get in anybody's way (a successful first day in my book), and I got a ton of waves on my 9'6, even getting up (near) the nose for a while on one wave. Good times, and a great introduction to California surfing for those guys. I have a feeling they'll be back.

No comments: