Thursday, December 6, 2007

Analyzing Horace

So I track this silly blog with Google Analytics, which is free btw and does some pretty amazing stuff. Aside from boredom, Google Analytics is probably one of the main driving forces to keep updating...as I'm able to see what people are looking at, how many visits, how long they stay on pages, where they're coming from, all sorts of stuff that is just sort of interesting. Now keep in mind that Horace is no big deal out there on the internets, we're talking about 10 visits a day, but it's still fun to look at these sort of things.

Late last week Manabu at Stokemaster.com made Horace the featured blog on his site, and I'm up there prominently in the upper right hand corner. Stokemaster is a much bigger deal than Horace so he has way way more visitors, of which 13 have checked out the featured blog and had a quick look at my site. Not too shabby, thanks Stokemaster! (although 72% of them bounce, meaning they don't look at any page other than the landing page. But that's a bit misleading as there's a lot of content on a typical blogs landing page).

Other interesting tidbits:
  • somehow, I'm the #3 Google result on 'Santa Cruz wave cam.' pretty impressive.
  • I've had 17 visits from the keywords "call it friendo" (11), "friendo" (4), and "call it friend-o" (2)...all of which are from my one post about the movie 'No Country for Old Men.' That's more than 50% of my total search engine traffic to date, popular post!
  • Sunday Dec 2 was my all time high on daily visitors. Fifteen! (I probably visited my page a lot that day.)
  • 70% of my visitors use Firefox, 23% IE, 7% Safari
  • I've had visitors from the US, Canada, unknown, Germany, and the UK
  • I need to get back to work
Thanks for reading, Thanks Google Analytics for being free. And interesting. To me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting analysis. Sorry we cannot bring 1000s of users to you (but I am working on it). We will try this experiment in again in a while. This weekend I need to slide in another site there, but will move the Horace to the Member Blog page permanently.

This surf condition has been so frustrating.