Monday, November 19, 2007

Word(s)of the day 3

Here's a history lesson. Was talking to my mom who was talking about my grandpa, and the vocabulary he uses, from the 50's. My gramma and grampa (henceforth referred to by their common names, bun (gramma) and papa) this past weekend with the help of the family moved from their 2 level condo in Lake Oswego to my other grandparents old single level house in Beaverton. It's better for Bun so she can get up and down the stairs, she was struggling with that at their old place. So now she can move around much easier. I hope they like it there. This is the house brother Joel has been working on fixing and remodeling and putting a ton of work into, so I'm glad it's going to good use. It's strange to think of visiting Bun and Papa and not having them in their old Red Fox Hills condo, that's where they've been for so long.

Anyways to the point -- vocabulary/history lesson.

Mom was talking to Papa and he uses the old 50's words to describe things. Here is (loosely interpreted) quote:

"I don't get up off this davenport, I like it so much. Can you get me the hassock?"

Now for you and me that above sentence may have you scratching your head. But to Papa, it's just what things are.

dav·en·port: 1.a large sofa, often one convertible into a bed.

has·sock: 1.a thick, firm cushion used as a footstool or for kneeling. (What you or I would call an Ottoman)

And just for good measure, here is one more:

drain·board: a working surface beside or on a kitchen sink, formed and inclined to drain into the sink. (Now this one is obvious, but in Papa-speak, it is basically any counter, not just the drainboard by the sink)

Hope you enjoyed, I'm off to watch the Andy Griffith Show!

No comments: